Saturday, May 27, 2006

LA and Cafe Chloe

A few weeks ago I went up to LA for a weekend visit with a friend of mine. We went to the new Bliss Spa, at the W in Westwood, which was blissful indeed, and did a little shopping. On the day we arrived, we had a lovely lunch on the patio at the Chateau Marmont (no celebrities, drat!) and visited a dessert shop called Boule, which is run by the couple who own Sona, Michelle and David Myer. The chocolates were good but not great, and some madeleines I bought (in a little box for six dollars) were stale. It was interesting but a little disappointing. For innovative chocolates, Vosges Chocolates and our own Chuao Chocolatier here in San Diego are just as good if not better.

After our spa adventure, we set out to find a place for brunch on Third Street, near some boutiques we wanted to visit. We tried to go to a place called Toast, but the crowd was overflowing onto the sidewalk. I wanted to check out a gourmet takeout shop called Joan's on Third, and though they didn't serve breakfast, they also didn't have a crowd, so we ended up eating there. We split a muffin, a milanesa sandwich and some assorted salads. They yelled at me for taking this picture inside, which I thought was kind of strange - but the food was very good.

This past Friday, the same friend and I went to Cafe Chloe downtown - we had originally planned to meet for coffee, but since it was after 4 on Friday, I decided I'd rather have wine. I had a glass of Nora Albarino and a cheese plate, which they served with chutney, honeycomb and "beer gelee." My friend had the affogato. She brought her adorable six month old daughter, pictured above. They are also serving an "Urban Tea" in the afternoons. For $21. (per person) you get a glass of prosecco or tea and a tower of treats. It looked fantastic, but we just weren't up for a $50. check on this particular day. We are planning to go back for that, so when we do I will post some pictures. Here is a picture of the interior:

And also, because I cannot resist, a picture of some beautiful peonies I picked up the other day at Trader JoesCheers and Happy Long Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Boule is over rated. When they first opened they came by my office (I used to work as an event planner in Beverly Hills) to give me free desserts. I wasn't impressed at all. Apparently their ice cream is good, though. Maybe their food depends on the day?

    ReplyDelete