Friday, September 01, 2006

Latest Obsessions - End of August.06


  1. Rockstar and Weeds.
  2. Parisian macarons - did I say that last time?? I'm still obsessed.
  3. Going up to the Bay Area (it's been ages!) and eating my way through San Francisco and Berkeley/Oakland.
  4. Cheese for dinner, with bread and salad (and wine!)
  5. Learning to pipe out of a pastry bag (the first thing they will teach us in pastry class, woo hoo! I always wind up with stuff squirting out the top and running down my arm.)
  6. Eating all the fresh berries, tomatoes and corn I can get my hands on before summer is over.
  7. Picking the right surfacing and materials for our outdoor patio and walkways - and selecting the plants for our yard. Concrete or stone? Stamped or textured? Pavers or flagstones? Aggggghhh! Definitely drought resistant plants. Definitely.
  8. Learning how to garden so I won't kill everything when I get my box garden built and planted next year.
  9. Getting my jewelry materials together so I can get Alice Q. Jewelry up and running in time for the holidays!
  10. Getting ready for my dinner party next week! I am making Zuni roast chicken for the main dish - and I've never even been to the restaurant, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out!!
photo credit: Laduree website

3 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on Weeds--I love it. As for pastry bags, I have the same problem. And, if you haven't already, I'd highly recommend trying the macarons at Boule in Los Angeles--the pistachio's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to hear about your sf trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple back yard garden box:
    Get 4 2 x 12 x 4-ft redwood planks
    Get 4 4 x 4 x 1-ft redwood "posts" (if you can call something that short a post)
    Nail one post to the end of each plank (same end for each, of course). Nail each of the four assemblies together to make a square.
    Fill with good soil.
    Plant things. If you are starting from seeds, plant things indoors first and wait until the appropriate time as stated on the seed packet.
    Water and wait.
    Fertilize two months later.
    If you have more than one box, refertilize, re-soil and/or rotate your crops next year.

    ReplyDelete