Thursday, April 12, 2007

Ramblings on San Francisco

In case you are wondering what that last post was about, I've been in San Francisco for the past three days for a trial practice training class. It was an intense, action packed three days - culminating in a three hour trial for each team this morning. It was fun and I learned quite a bit, but I have a ways to go yet. We didn't get a lot of individual attention in this class, because there were so many of us there, but it was definitely valuable. I do think I can eventually learn to do this sort of work without becoming petrified with fear. I might actually even enjoy it!
foodblog 18458
The Slanted Door
Eating has taken a back seat, but I haven't exactly been starving. As I mentioned below, we had an ok meal at the Slanted Door on Tuesday night. I am glad I got a chance to try it, but I probably won't go back given all the other options here. I've had better food in San Diego at Red Pearl Kitchen, Dao Son and that Pho house I can never remember the name of in Mission Valley (I wasn't crazy about Pho T Cali). Red Pearl Kitchen's almost identical version of the prawn dish we ordered was better, and the ribs at Slanted Door were rubbery and swimming in oil. They made me wish I'd gone to Oola. I didn't have the spring rolls but it was killing me that they looked identical to the versions you can get all over town in San Diego but cost four times as much. If you are looking for some good ones in San Diego, Dao Son's are to die for.
foodblog 18499
Boulette's Larder - the cookies are in those little red cases on the counter
I went back to the Ferry Building after the classes ended today to pick up a few gift bags of individual chocolates, and a few cookies at Boulette's Larder. I need to find out what kind of fleur de sel they use on those chocolate cookies - it really sets off the flavor perfectly.
foodblog 18477
the antipasto platter at Whole Foods
Dinner last night was kind of comical. I decided I didn't have the energy for Ame, and I had to actually do some work to get ready for today - so we canceled that plan. Instead I stopped by Whole Foods up here in Pac Heights and picked up a pre-made antipasto platter, a loaf of Acme Italian Bread, a Artisan Flatbread pizza, and a bottle of chilled Viognier. The plan was that we would eat that at home.
foodblog 18473
Pizzetta 211
I then went home and decided to look at the website for the Pizzetta 211 restaurant, having met a girl who works there the day before. I was so taken with the reviews I read, that I decided we should go there instead of eating what I bought. I'd read that the place was tiny, but I really had no idea how tiny. It's a shoebox. It was too cold to eat outside, so we put our names on the list and sat down with a glass of wine. We looked at the menu, and chatted - I took a couple of pictures. Really, we could have eaten in the time we sat there. Eventually we got impatient though, and I started to feel guilty about not eating the food I had bought. We were also a little frustrated with our interactions with the staff. They seemed simultanously confused and arrogant, never a good combination for a restaurant employee. The girl I had met the day before was not there, so she certainly wasn't responsible. We waited about 45 minutes, and decided to go home and eat. We had a really nice meal - and I was able to get some work done.
foodblog 18453
cookies and a brownie from Tartine
Tonight I am headed down to the Mission to Delfina, in fact I need to get moving so I will be ready to go when Sam gets here! I am tempted to go back to Tartine, just next door, for some more of those brownies, but I have a feeling that's a bad idea for my waistline. They were definitely the best thing I tried though, and I will make them from the cookbook as soon as I can get my hands on it!

3 comments:

  1. I, too, had a very mediocre meal at the Slanted Door last time I was there (good cocktails though). I used to be better for some reason when it was still in the Mission District. And I absolutely LOVE Boulette's Larder -- one of my favorite places on earth (I'm not exaggerating!) The style, flavors, mood and concept are unbeatable in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain Jack4/13/07, 10:13 AM

    I have been to that Whole Foods many times! I always stay with my cousin in PH when I am in the City. Her crib is on Sacramento St. just up from Franklin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jora - I had breakfast at Boulette's Larder this morning, and it was one of the hilights of my trip. I didn't know they served meals, I thought it was just takeout and bakery stuff, plus private parties - but now at least they serve breakfast and lunch. Not cheap, but I highly recommend.

    Jack - it's a good one. I think your cousin's place is about four blocks from my friend's house!

    ReplyDelete