Sunday, July 29, 2007

Daring Bakers July Challenge - Strawberry Mirror Cake

Strawberry Mirror Cake
Joining the Daring Bakers has really been fun, in that it gives me the opportunity to use skills I learned in culinary school that I would never otherwise use at home. With this stuff it's use it or lose it - and it doesn't take long as I've discovered!
half section
This months' challenge was a "Strawberry Mirror Cake" a classic French patisserie concoction involving a sponge cake layered with Bavarian Cream and topped with a clear strawberry gelatin layer - a.k.a. the mirror. We actually did a Passionfruit mirror cake in my cake decorating class last semester, (at Grossmont Culinary School, taught by James Foran - the pastry chef at Market.) Unfortunately the cake had to chill for several hours in order to firm the filling, so the mirror had to wait for the following class - when I was absent. Not only did I not get to see the mirror, but since I wasn't there when the cake was finished, I didn't get to take any home! Poor, sad me.

The cake we prepared in class was somewhat different from this recipe. We lined a ring mold with a thin layer of joconde sponge, patterned with a chocolate tuile batter. The mousse was the poured inside, allowed to firm, and then covered with the mirror. It was an elaborate process - but not especially difficult, technically.
foodblog 1800
For the lining (I wish I had a picture of the other side!) we laid a patterned template on a silpat with holes punched in it - stripes, checkerboard or polka dots, and spread the chocolate tuile batter over the form. It was then lifted off, leaving the pattern on the silpat. Sponge cake batter was spread on top of that (carefully) and then baked. The patterned cake was then cut into strips for lining the pan. (If you look at the cake in the bottom right of this photo, you can see how it looked before the mousse was added.)
foodblog 1803
For the July challenge, Peabody's method called for us Daring Bakers to make a layer of sponge cake in a jelly-roll or sheet pan, cut the layers to fit a springform pan, and cover it with Strawberry Bavarian Cream - sort of a firm mousse - then with the mirror. The rules specified that the cake had to be white, but substitutions were allowed for the fruit and the gelatin if anyone was allergic or averse to gelatin. As far as decorating, the only rule was that you had to be able to see the mirror.

This was a fitting send-off to the local summer strawberry season, and I picked up a couple of boxes at the Farmers' Market last Sunday that I used for the puree and the juice. I made those earlier in the week and stored them in the fridge until I was able to get around to the cake itself on Saturday. (The cake needs to chill for several hours in order to let the fillings firm up, so it's not a bad idea to make the fruit puree and juice and the cake ahead of time.)

The sponge layers came out nice and airy and were brushed with a simple syrup spiked with kirsch for flavor. With this type of cake it's important to really beat the heck out of the sugar and eggs at the beginning to get them to full volume and give the cake a nice elastic base. The cake flour is sifted into the sugar and egg mixture, and then a meringue is folded in for lift. The key is to not stir too much, or the batter will deflate. My layers came out about 3/4 of an inch thick.

As I prepped it, I realized the Bavarian Cream has all the ingredients for strawberry ice cream - just jelled instead of frozen. You start with a custard - cooking egg yolks, sugar and milk together until thickened. The strawberry puree and gelatin are stirred together and added to the hot custard, and after the custard mixture is cooled over an ice water bath, softly whipped cream is folded in. (I had to add a couple of drops of red food coloring for the pink color, since the cooked cream had an unappetizing slightly grayish color.)

One thing I was a little confused about - the recipe seemed to call for 2 1/2 Tablespoons of gelatin (noted in the recipe as TBSP) - but a packet of gelatin contains 2 1/2 teaspoons of gelatin. I wasn't sure, but I figured two packets ought to do it (close to 2 Tablespoons altogether.) That seemed to work fine, but I am curious to see if other people used different amounts, and what their results were.

I added some cut strawberries to the sides of my cake - both for decoration and because I cut my cake layers a little on the small side (I used the pan as a guide, but I guess I overdid it on the trimming!) I placed them against the sides of the pan before adding the cream, then added the second layer of cake, and filled it in with the cream - being careful to leave space for the mirror.

I lined my pan with parchment paper, thinking it might help keep the strawberries in place when the sides of the pan were removed. The paper absorbed moisture though, and sort of crinkled a bit - I wouldn't bother with that the next time.

When the cream was thoroughly chilled and firm, I made the mirror topping. Again, this seemed to call for a large amount of gelatin - 1 TBSP. I used one packet (2 1/2 teaspoons) which seemed to work well. I added the fruit to the top before putting the cake in the refrigerator to firm.

I was really pleased with the way the cake looked when I unmolded it, even if it was a little crinkly. I was planning to take it to a barbeque yesterday to share it, but unfortunately we weren't able to go. (Sorry Mendy - and Happy Birthday!) It doesn't keep well out of the fridge, so taking it to work is out. Husband is at work tonight... hmmm... Guess I know what I'm having for dinner!

pink_sil

32 comments:

  1. I love the strawberries along the bottom - beautiful!! I used the full amount of gelatin, and re-read the recipe many times, making sure that I read it right!! If I were to make it again, I would cut back on the amount of gelatin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm even more sad you didn't make it. That looks heavenly!
    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks beautiful with all the strawberries along the bottom and the fruit tumbled on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake is gorgeous! Gelatin here comes 1 TB to a pack, so I just used 2 packs. I thought it was good. A bit soft, but better that than too firm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so beautiful--I love the way you decorated it! Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alice! I love those cut berries you put on the side...your cake is beautiful! I agree, this cake is the ultimate send off for the strawberry season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cake. I, too used fruit on top, but only sliced strawberries.

    Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a gorgeous cake, Alice! I love the fruit on the bottom and the top.. it's the perfect decoration!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake Alice. Love all the berries on top. 3 tsp= 1 Tb so you were not too much off. Lis and I also add issues with the gelatin mouthfeel...not the greatest.
    Love the idea of a passion fruit mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alice, your cake is gorgeous! So lovely with that lovely fruit accent on top your mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a wonderful job...the decorations is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous decorations on the cake, really dresses it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the strawberries you added - this is like strawberry heaven in a dessert! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love the way you decorated your cake. Great write-up and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the strawberries on the edge and the decoration on top, you did a fabulous job! I made an educated guess on the gelatin because I was using sheets so it appears that you were right in your guess as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the jumble of berries atop your mirror. It's a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful cake! I love how the fruit on top is sunk into the mirror, almost reflecting back!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your presentation is stupendous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i did the same thing in culinary school, with the decorated sponge lining the side. i like your cut strawberry decor better though! nice-looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alice, Alice, you've outdone yourself. This belongs in a bakery display case. I LOVE the creativity behind your mirror decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the way you garnished your cake with the fresh berries! beautiful job

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cake definitely has a fancy frou frou bakery air about it! Its really beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alice your decorations are really fantastic. I really really like the blueberries!!
    Looks like a beautiful cake. Sorry you missed the party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the addition of strawberry slices on the side and berries on top - brilliant!

    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great mirror cake, and lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the decorating touches.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the way you decorated your cake, Alice. Especially with the strawberries all around the bottom.

    I misread the recipe for the Bavarian cream and used only 1 1/2tbsp of gelatin - the Bavarian didn't firm up, but it poured very easily onto the sponge, and it did set sufficiently in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So you're saying I could have ditched the cake and just had icecream? That sounds really good right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the way your cake looks. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! I love the berries on the side and on top.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful decoration on top!

    ReplyDelete