Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I Heart Macarons

Opera Patisserie
I haven't had time to write much lately, but I thought this would be as good a time as any to tell you about my new venture - writing for the San Diego Eats It website. I've written four five recommendations thus far, you can find them here. Since I wrote the one for Opera Patisserie I've been in a few more times for lunch, and discovered that they have wonderful authentic croissants. (In case you're looking, another good place I've discovered downtown is the deli in the Westgate hotel.)

On one of our visits to Opera, my friend Jodi and I tried the grilled vegetable panini sandwich, and we were really impressed. A hot and toasty panini, filled with the perfect mix of thinly sliced vegetables and cheese. I'm a sucker for anything mini - so naturally I fell for these boxes of mini assorted pastries. I haven't seen them there lately - but I'm sure you could order one. Each and every item in there was delicious.
foodblog 1797
Opera is the only place I know of in San Diego where you can get Parisian macarons. The chocolate is my favorite, filled with a dark rich ganache. It's the perfect after-lunch sweet with a cup of coffee.

Speaking of macarons, I noticed that Dorie Greenspan has a great post up right now about one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. If you've always wanted to be a pastry chef, make sure you check out the link to Fanny at Foodbeam (which might be my new favorite website) to get the inside story on making them at Pierre Herme. Her photos and descriptions of the individual macarons are almost as good as tasting them. I also loved Dorie's and David's posts about their day out together in the Marche d'Aligre.

Isn't the food blogging world just wonderful??

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get one of those croissants!

Post Script - I forgot to mention that a new review of mine will be posted on San Diego Eats It every Sunday. Also, I had an almond croissant and a cup of Organic Caffe Calabria coffee at Opera this morning, and both were divine!

5 comments:

  1. MMM I have to give this place a go. I tried my first ever macaron, a caramel one, at bouchon in napa and it was absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would HIGHLY recommend getting their box of assorted macaroons that come in flavors you can't get from their mini varieties. My favorite so far is their Passionfruit & Coconut macaroon. Absolutely wonderful! And try their coffee. Smooth and full bodied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny - yes you do! I think you'll like it, it's really cute. I bet Bouchon's macarons were to die for. Bay Bread in SF also has really good ones.

    May - Yay another SD food blog! I had the coffee yesterday AM - Organic Caffe Calabria, and it was wonderful. I want to go and buy some from the roaster in N. Park. The passionfruit/coconut sounds good. I've had the boxes before but I don't think that one was in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been dying to try Opera and now I am even more excited about it. I have not been able to find an authentic croissant in SD for the life of me - Bread and Cie's are good but way too big. Is it in Bankers Hill or downtown?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista - I like Bread and Cie's too, but I am totally with you on the size. They are about double what they should be. Opera is at 6th and Ash downtown. The Westgate's Deli, over on the East side of the building, also has good ones. The place is a little odd, but the food is very good there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...