Monday, October 29, 2007

Daring Bakers - "Bostini Cream Pie"

bostini cream pie
I have to say that after the events of this week and a busy weekend - I'm a little bit numb - but I've missed a couple of challenges lately, and I had a good excuse to make this one since we hosted my parents for dinner tonight. We don't cook for them too often, so we wanted to do something nice. They brought steaks, and I made an heirloom tomato salad and some corn - sort of a "last hurrah" of summer. For dessert, we had the bostinis.

I have never made boston cream pie before, but I have always thought it reminded me of a doughnut - with the thick chocolate glaze on the top and custard filling - or an eclair, possibly. Essentially it's a chiffon cake, flavored with a little bit of orange, layered with a custard cream and a chocolate glaze.
chiffon cutouts
I baked my cake in a sheet pan, and cut the rounds out with a knife, which worked fairly well. I am glad I took it out of the oven when I did - one or two more minutes and it would have been dry. We were allowed to substitute in a couple of areas - I didn't have orange juice, but I used orange oil and a little lemon juice - making up the difference in the liquid with 1/2 a cup of milk, and I thought it had nice flavor. The custard was also really good. I used vanilla paste instead of the bean, and I improvised with a mixture of cream, half and half and nonfat milk to make up the whole milk and cream called for, since I could only get my hands on one pint of organic cream at the market and already had the half and half and nonfat milk at home. It worked just fine and I had LOTS left over. (Then again, I only served four and the recipe is for 8.)
bostini cream pies
The cake layers were about one inch thick, so to plate the dessert, I spooned some custard into the cups, added a layer of cake, more custard, another layer of cake, and the chocolate sauce. (Actually, my mom and I had only one layer - as you can see on the right - but we got the gist of it.) There was double the amount of custard that I needed, but I would have had a hard time getting enough cake out of the recipe to fill eight ramekins.

There was nothing wrong with this dessert, and the chocolate sauce, the cake and the custard were each great on their own, but I'm not sure the dessert was more than the sum of it's parts. In fact, it might have been less. The cake soaked up the liquids and became a bit soggy, and I wasn't crazy about the look of the chocolate poured straight onto the cake. Maybe if it were a bit thicker. James thought the chocolate was overwhelming and suggested the cake and custard would be better with some fresh fruit or berries. It was a LOT of trouble to make, and is one of those recipes that uses up nearly a dozen eggs - 9 yolks in the custard alone.

Regardless, I have nothing but love and respect for Mary, the kind and generous administrator of our Daring Bakers site and pro baker who selected this recipe for the challenge this month. At least it was something that could be completed in a single afternoon, which is more than I can say for some challenges. Not that involved baking projects are a bad thing, but when you're as short on time and concentration as I was today, less is definitely more!
pink_sil

35 comments:

  1. I think I'm with you on the whole (and yes, such a clever idea to half the portion...calorie wise!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was short on concentration today, too. It was quite a week in San Diego, wasn't it? We enjoyed our bostinis, but we ate them as soon as I made them so nothing had a chance to get soggy. I do have one in the fridge though, so it will be interesting to see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't thrilled with the look of the chocolate glaze either - it just kind of soaked into the cake for me. But it tasted great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look tasty!

    I let my chocolate cool a bit before pouring it on, so it didn't soak the cake at all. The custard set up well in the fridge, too, so there wasn't any soaking from the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dinner sounds fantastic.. nothing like steak, salad and corn to make it feel like it's still summer! And this dessert is the perfect little treat for that kind of meal.

    We were like Kel's family - ate it right after it was put together so we didn't get the sog, but I can so see how it would get soggy. A thicker custard next time.. for sure.

    Great job!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sheet of chiffon looks the proper business. And small portions were definitely the way to go; Pille at Nami-Nami calculated the calories on the suggested serving size and they seemed to top 1000!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your presentation of the Bostini's. Smaller was better...I thought so too.

    Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking Bostini. Were the parents impressed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recommend putting the extra custard into an ice cream machine... I added some Baileys to mine adn into the freezer it went!

    ReplyDelete
  10. October was so ridiculously busy wasnt it?

    You did a fantastic job! We ate ours right away so that it didnt get all wet and yucko. The ones that sat in the fridge over night were more than waterlogged.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree the cakes had to be small of too much. the cake alone was my favorite taste

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the texture and color of your cake...its perfectly light golden brown. The chocolate was very rich, but I'm more a chocolate girl than a custard kinda gal, so I was okay with that. :-) It's nice that your parents shared in the consumption of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I may need to agree with your man- I love chocolate and orange together, but this dessert was soooooo rich! Serving it with fruit rather than chocolate is a great idea. These look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW what a fantastic dinner and the dessert lookes exceptionally good. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, that dinner sounds fabulous! Your Bostinis look great, even if you didn't love them! I though they were ok - but I really loved that custard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! The bostini sounds like it's best consumed immediately, which I hear has usually been the case for those who made it :)

    Sigh~ I wish I didn't have to miss out this month's challenge. I'm sure you all had so much fun with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alice, the dinner menu sounds delicious :) I noticed that because I served my bostinis in glass cups that were the same size as the cake cutouts, the cakes were jammed in and "hovered" above the custard without getting soggy. When I served the leftover pieces (my husband refuses to let scraps go to waste) they sogged up rather quickly.

    -jen at use real butter

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your bostini, and agree with dividing it in half to control the portions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Bostini looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see you did yours in a sheet pan, too! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Given what you've been through in the last week, I think you did a great job with these. I'm glad you decided to participate... you gave me some great ideas for lightening this a bit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you had a fantastic dinner and your Bostinis look great, even if they weren't a fav for you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Actually it was 14 eggs!
    It was not the favorite but I experienced custard and chiffon cake which I might not have other wise.
    Your Bostini looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with you about this dessert not really living up to the individual parts.....but it was still a ton of fun!

    Leslie at definitely not martha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job!

    I halfed the recipe. We ate our bostinis directly and I waited with assembling the rest to the next day when we had another go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you were able to find time to participate this month! We miss you when you don't. Glad everything is settling down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your pies look scrumptous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Had no thought of it that way, but you are right, the sum of the parts didn't add up exactly. I did enjoy each of the parts though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope your parents liked the dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The chocolate glaze to me did seem a bit overwhelming, seeing as the other flavors were on the delicate side. But I had fun with the process.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful! Very appetizing!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  32. I actually cut down on the amount of chocolate, and I'm a fiend, because it seemed a bit too much. it was definitely a "lick the bowl" dish at every step.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great dessert choice fr company. I too shared it with my parents when they were visiting and they enjoyed it a lot. Mom said it wold be a perfect Christmas dessert. Great job on yuor challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great job Alice, even though you weren't thrilled with the results

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your pic of your Bostini are very inviting- looks like a chocolate island. xoxo

    ReplyDelete