Thursday, February 14, 2008

Red Velvet Cupcakes Reprise and Happy Valentine's Day!

foodblog 1584
Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

It seems great minds think alike. Here is Dorie Greenspan's Valentine's post today, and here's mine (with a little Valentine's story) from last year. I love the idea of dipping half of them in chocolate!

I've also noticed a lot of hits recently on my post about the "Shortcut" Red Velvet Cupcakes from around this time last year (mostly with Sprinkles in the name) - so here it is again, for those who are still looking for something to make for Valentine's Day! The full post can be found here. Cheers!
foodblog 1565
"Shortcut" Red Velvet Cupcakes

for the cakes:
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa (I used Scharffenberger)
1/4 -1/2 tsp paste red food coloring, or 1 teaspoon of liquid (1 Tablespoon if you want a REALLY red cake)
1/4 cup boiling water
1 package Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Cake Mix
3/4 stick butter (6 Tbsp) very soft
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350

Prepare two 12 cup muffin tins with paper liners (I used these - found 'em at Peoples)

Add the food coloring to your boiling water, and pour over the cocoa - stir to make a paste.

Cream the butter, oil, eggs, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and cake mix together in a standing mixture with the whisk attachment. Add the cocoa mixture and beat on medium high speed for four minutes - until fluffy and creamy.

Fill cups just over 3/4 of the way full, about 1/2 inch from the top. Bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

"Sprinkles" Recipe Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz of cream cheese, very soft
4 oz of butter, very soft
1/8 tsp salt
4 cups of powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp of vanilla extract

Beat the cream cheese and butter with the salt until light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, and the vanilla - beat until smooth and creamy. Dollop onto the cupcakes with a small offset spatula and spread by pushing from the center out to the edges.

Makes 24 standard size cupcakes.

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous picture, Alice! I tried a red velvet cake recipe from the "Fresh and Easy" section of Bon Appetit and it turned out surprisingly well. It did, however, involve the obscene amount of red food coloring and dyed my mixer paddle red temporarily.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you guys had a good Valentine's Day too! I just subscribed to the new Bon Appetit to check it out. I will have to check your blog for the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a picture of them on this entry:

    http://culinarynerd.blogspot.com/2007/10/star-trek-party.html

    It's from the June '06 issue and the photo was taken before they were frosted. Not quite so pretty, but very red. :)

    I have to say that the new Bon Appetit is rather disappointing. It's thinner with more emphasis on easy recipes. To give you an idea of how easy, the cover pictures so far are chocolate pudding, pancakes, and a sandwich. It was definitely better the way it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well, I guess at least it only cost 12 bucks. I think I might be joining you guys at the taco truck tomorrow - Alex emailed me - so maybe I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww... I didn't hear from him, but I saw the thread on CH. Sounds fantastic! The Foodnerds' shrimp plates seemed incredible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - my bad! I would have sworn he said culinary nerd but I guess it was foodnerds! I am sure there will be future trips on which you can join us though - this place was damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to it! I was at the Original Pancake House for breakfast this morning and Izakaya Sakura was open for lunch. D. didn't particularly enjoy the time we went and didn't want to go again. I couldn't help but think, "If only there were a Chowdown there..." :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...