Tuesday, February 26, 2008

So much for all that... Why I'm conceding that Obama should win

Politics Alert! This is a follow up on an older post - there will be more posts about food in the next few days - so if you're here for that, feel free to come back then!
***********************************************
A few weeks ago, before Super Tuesday - I posted a little rant questioning the popularity of Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton. After watching tonight's debate, and following the contest over the past few weeks - I have to say, I see it. Obama really does have the presence, eloquence and appeal to gather support across a wider base than Hillary, and I think he will - and should - win the nomination.

Hillary is an excellent leader and one of the smartest people in politics, but she hasn't shown that she has what it takes to gather support for her policies among the public, or run a successful campaign. There were more than a couple of wince-worthy moments in tonight's debate - for example the Saturday Night Live comment, and the statements mocking Obama's campaign platform. She would have done well to avoid stooping to that kind of sarcasm and testiness - it doesn't convey that her policies or ability to lead are superior to his - it just looks like sour grapes.

Obama has shown that he has the ability to maintain grace under pressure, and as many commenters to my previous post pointed out - he has the capacity to unite voters behind him to defeat the presumptive Republican nominee John McCain. At this stage it does look like he will handily beat McCain, whereas Clinton will drive people to the polls to vote against her - like it or not.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what I think, but I just thought I'd share this, in light of the earlier post - and as an explanation for the change in the sidebar widget that will be on this blog until the next election. Obamamania it is.

Now, if he would only suggest a way to address the environmental issues crippling the planet in a real and meaningful way - THAT would be change I could believe in. Maybe he'll appoint Al Gore as Secretary of the Interior. Wouldn't that be loverly?

7 comments:

  1. For some strange reason Hillary's arm movements remind me of Evita Peron which is not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I heart Obama. And Al Gore for anything at this point would be great, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way you did Alice - I even still want Hillary to be president. I felt that the time is right for a female president finally, men -are more often than not- responsible for all of the regrets in world history. That said, I am the point where I don't care who it is anymore - just as long as its not a republican.

    I feel sorry for future generations for the mess we have now.

    ---Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so happy you've switched. Hilary will have a great future in politics nonetheless should Obama win. And yes, Al Gore just HAS to take some role in the WH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent... Welcome to the good side. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just going to be glad not to be blamed for having Bush as president any more. Living abroad has been a bit rough, with such an idiot in office.

    We're staying over here until we figure out whether it'll be another fascist. If so, we may not come back....

    ReplyDelete