Monday, October 06, 2008

The Big Apple Pancake

Big Apple Pancake
You know those recipes that just reach up off the page, grab you by the lapels and scream "make me"? Well, for me, this was one of them. I first laid eyes on it yesterday while tooling around on the Gourmet website, and within twenty four hours it was sitting on the counter, dusted with powdered sugar. We had it for brunch on Sunday morning with some bacon and Linkery kielbasas. When it was time to serve, I just added the bacon to the sausage pan and placed both skillets on the table. Maybe not the most elegant solution - but for a football brunch, it worked.
Big Apple Pancake
I've tried similar recipes in the past, but they've never been quite as successful as this one. It's more of a clafoutis than a dutch baby, not too eggy, not too airy - just the right amount of sweet. To make it into a dessert - something like a souffle version of Tarte Tatin - you could caramelize the apples in a little bit of sugar along with the butter before pouring the egg batter over. It would be the perfect conclusion for a fall Sunday supper.
frying apples in butter for Big Apple Pancake
Big Apple Pancake
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine, November, 2004

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 large or 2-3 small sweet apples such as Gala or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide wedges
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.

Melt butter in skillet over moderate heat, then transfer 2 tablespoons to a blender (I used a hand blender in a high-sided bowl.) Add apple wedges to skillet and cook, turning once, until beginning to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.

While the apples are cooking, add milk, flour, eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt to butter in blender and blend until smooth.

Pour batter over apples and transfer skillet to oven. Bake until pancake is puffed and golden, about 15 minutes. (Mine was getting a little brown, so I reduced the heat to 400 for about the last 5 minutes of baking, and turned it around.)

Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.


  1. This sounds so yummy. I used to make something like this, but I don't know where the recipe is....will have to try this one. :)

  2. cool! I'm going to make this. The recipe says to pour the batter over the apples. Do the apples just rise to the top while cooking? That would be cool! Thanks!

  3. Jora - We'll have to try the dessert version sometime!

    Caroline - yes, the batter is very liquid when you pour it in, and it carries the apples up (a few stayed on the bottom) - it sinks after you take it out of the oven -but doesn't fully collapse like a dutch baby style pancake does.

  4. That looks absolutely delicious! I'll have to try it. You and Jora seem to be on the same apple theme today... :)

  5. Copied! This one is calling my name. You're right... it's a perfect idea for a meal during the morning Charger's game. I couldn't think of anything to whip up last weekend.

    I have about 55 apples left to use up from our Julian apple-picking trip so this is a good idea. Thanks!

  6. That looks superb! I wish I had an apple breakfast treat in the house right now as today feels like the first day of fall in LA.

  7. Looks delicious! I make an oven pancake that is served with bananas, walnuts and warm maple syrup- this looks like a great addition to the arsenal!

  8. This looks delicious. I'm thinking of making it this weekend for guests. Couple of questions: what size skillet did you use, and how many does it serve?

  9. I used an 8 inch skillet - guess I should have mentioned that! This serves 3-4 people - for more I would increase the recipe by about 50% and use at least a 10" skillet.

  10. Oh, I did use a 10 inch. It didn't puff up very much I guess, but it was delicious! It served 4 with bacon and sausage. But I'll try increasing it next time. Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper.

  11. That looks beyond great. Thanks for sharing.