Friday, January 08, 2010

The Del Marcos Hotel, King's Highway at the Ace Hotel and Shield's Date Garden - Palm Springs

Del Marcos Hotel - Palm Springs   11.09
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I travel out to the desert every so often for work. Last November, I had another chance to turn one of these trips into a short but sweet little getaway. I drove out the night before, and stayed at the Del Marcos Hotel on my own dime, to avoid the 5 AM wakeup call that would have been required otherwise.
Del Marcos Hotel - Palm Springs   11.09
The Del Marcos is an architectural landmark, the first project designed by well known local architect William Cody, built in 1947. It's very modern in its design and decor, and must have been really cutting age at that time. Arranged around a small swimming pool, it appears to have been originally designed as an apartment building. Overall the effect is charming and comfortable, and the staff are friendly. It's not as luxurious as some other places you might find, but it was perfect for my purposes. The rate was only $109. - and they have cheaper rooms, I splurged. This room had a full kitchen in addition to the area you see below, with a bar and outdoor patio. Free wifi and loaner bikes too.
Del Marcos Hotel - Palm Springs   11.09
The landscaping and decor is perfectly in tune with the climate and the architectural style of the hotel. The salt water pool (which I didn't photograph because I didn't want to invade the privacy of those around it!) was small but cozy and very warm. I planned to go in, but just didn't get around to it. For dinner I ordered takeout from Thai Smile, on Palm Canyon drive, and swung by the liquor store for a beer to go with (which made me feel like a bit of a derelict.) The panang curry and green papaya salad were just ok - next time I might try Peppers Thai instead.
Del Marcos Hotel - Palm Springs   11.09
After my work obligation was completed, I decided to take the long way back to Palm Springs from Indio, down Highway 111 (aka Palm Canyon Drive). It took a little longer than I'd anticipated (almost an hour) so I don't know if I'd do it again, but it was an interesting experience. It takes you from Indio all the way through all the desert cities, back to Palm Springs, and eventually to the 10 Freeway.
Shields Date Gardens - Palm Springs   11.09
About five minutes in, I saw Shield's Date Garden coming up on the left. It's kind of hard to miss with the giant knight sign. I'd heard "date shakes" are a local specialty out there, and that Shield's is the place to get one, so I was already considering stopping when I saw this...
Shields Date Gardens - Palm Springs   11.09
I didn't actually sit through the movie, but I hear it's quite a hoot. This place is straight out of the 1950s from top to bottom, including the movie from what I hear. They're planning a re-do, and I'd recommend getting there before then if you can, to enjoy the considerable retro charm. I headed straight for the soda fountain counter and ordered myself one of those shakes, and recommend you do the same. Sadly I couldn't drink much of it because some recent dental work has left one of my teeth ridiculously cold sensitive, but what I had was tasty. They make them with their signature "date crystals" which they also sell in their little retail shop. I picked up some dates and other treats to bring home. If you pick up their brochure - complete with recipes - you'll learn more about dates than you ever wanted to know. They sell about five different varieties, including the most desirable "Medjools" in various styles and sizes of containers. They've also developed a "blonde" and a "brunette" date that are only available there at the farm.
Shields Date Gardens - Palm Springs   11.09
Further down the road, as I was turning off of South Palm Canyon Drive to go to Koffi, I spotted some hipsters sitting in the window of what looked like a sit-down coffee shop across the street. Seriously - it was the hair and glasses that gave them away. A closer look revealed it was the King's Highway restaurant at the Ace Hotel.
Kings Highway at the Ace Hotel Palm Springs
The Ace Hotels are a newish mini-chain of budget friendly hotels catering to the design-happy crowd with whimsical decor and amenities like vinyl record players and scooter rentals. So far they're located in Portland, Seattle, Palm Springs and NYC
Kings Highway at the Ace Hotel - Palm   Springs 11.09
The Ace is a re-do on an old Howard Johnson's motel, and when the coffee shop was renovated - they left the original layout and structure in place. They replaced the furniture with a mixture of modern and natural wood, and left the floor rough. It's a great look.
Kings Highway at the Ace Hotel Palm Springs
I took a seat at a booth and ordered the Lobster BLT sandwich and iced tea. In my experience, lobster salad sandwiches usually sound better on a menu than they taste, but my optimism was rewarded this time.
Kings Highway at the Ace Hotel - Palm   Springs 11.09
The service was friendly and prompt, the menu was interesting and affordable (with lots of vegetarian options), and the sandwich was delicious. After lunch I walked over to the lounge area and peeked at the pool. Both were pretty darned cool looking. Factor in the fact that Koffi is right across the street and there are a number of good thrift shops within spitting distance, and you've got yourself quite a combination in my book. If you like your hotels a little quieter, and want to be a little closer to downtown Palm Springs, the Del Marcos might be a better spot. Either way, I'm happy to report, it's hard to go wrong.


Shields Date Gardens
80225 Highway 111
Indio, CA 92247
(760) 347-7768

The Ace Hotel and Swim Club
701 E Palm Canyon Dr
Palm Springs, CA 92264
(760) 325-9900
I recommend eating here even if you don't stay.

The Del Marcos Hotel
225 West Baristo Road
Palm Springs, CA 92262
(800) 676-1214

10 comments:

  1. cool, looks like a nice little cafe there. We're always looking for fun stuff in palm springs as its a nice warm getaway for the weekend in the winter time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if I have commented before, but had to tell you I am really enjoying your blog. Your writing style is very engaging.

    We just came back from San Luis Obispo and I am already plotting my next weekend getaway. I think you just gave me my destination.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We rediscovered Palm Springs last year. It's such an easy drive from SD and if you go when it's not crowded you have a nice selection of restaurants, shops and museums from which to choose.

    I can recommend the two places we stayed. Not luxurious but each one offers some extras (breakfast, cocktails, etc.) and lots of retro kitschiness that make it worthwhile:

    http://www.desertrivierahotel.com/

    http://www.palmspringsrendezvous.com/

    The staff at both of these places, each of which (I think) has only 10 rooms, was personable without being overly so.

    These two restaurants are owned by the same people -- we had terrific experiences at both:

    http://thefallsrestaurants.com/

    http://www.matchboxpalmsprings.com/

    Strangely enough, we also ate at Thai Smile on our last visit and thought it was above average but not the best Thai food we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise Wells1/9/10, 10:49 AM

    If you haven't before, you may want to try Villa Royale on one of your next visits - http://www.villaroyale.com. The accomodations are quaint and comfy and the restaurant is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are there for breakfast, the ricotta pancakes at the King's Highway are unbelievably delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome timing, as I am just putting a weekend in Palm Springs in the works. The Ace Hotel looks like the perfect spot for us -- I read that it is child-friendly and even pet-friendly! As always, great writing and photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I took some photos of the exterior of Del Marcos when we were there last year, but I was dying to know what it looked like inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks for this post. My husband's going a Century bike ride over Valentine's weekend in Palm Springs so this gives us something to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice,

    I too spend quite a lot of time in Palm Springs. If you haven't tried it yet, checkout the movie colony hotel. Also architecturally interesting. When we go, we always make time for happy hour at Shanghai Red's, which we stumbled across at some point when we had a craving for oysters. The bar is really more of a little shack, about the size of a railroad car, behind the main restaurant. The bartenders run a grill station where you can watch them turning out fish tacos, seafood pasta (particularly good) and stuffed artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once I have taken breakfast there. That was delicious! I would like to visit it again.
    Thanks for such nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete