Friday, April 03, 2009

Eggs en Cocotte at Farmhouse Cafe

Brunch at Farmhouse Cafe

A few weeks ago, I made a list of 100 good things to eat (and drink) in San Diego, and you can bet that if I'd had these back then, they would have been right up there near the top. A couple of Sundays ago I duped talked James into coming with me to the Hillcrest Farmers to help me pick up some seedlings from Phil at Sage Mountain Farms, and then sweet talked him into getting some breakfast (which required more cajoling than it should have, really.) We wound up at the counter at Farmhouse, just as it started to rain. The coffee was hot and delicious, the welcome warm, and the food absolutely fantastic.

ricotta pancakes
We started with a "petite" serving of the Ricotta Pancakes with orange butter - a perfect solution for people like me who like sweet breakfast but not too much of it. Soft and dense, they are just right for sharing. I moved on to the Eggs in Cocotte - which were highly recommended by my next door neighbor at the bar and our server. With good reason, I now know. They are baked in a little ramekin with some heavy cream, parmesan cheese and tomato concasse with a little wine. The texture is creamy and custard-like, with a more complex, savory flavor than most breakfast dishes. Toasted Bread and Cie levain and some fried potatoes round out the plate. James chose a chorizo fritatta which was also very good.
Brunch at Farmhouse Cafe

I'm always hard pressed to make breakfast or brunch recommendations here in town, because so many places are hit or miss, and/or have a ridiculous wait on weekends. I just don't believe in that - though it seems a lot of people feel differently, judging by the crowds outside Hash House on weekend mornings. There are a few places that have just one good dish on the menu, like Brockton Villa (which I still like because I just love that little house) with their Coast Toast, Hob Nob with their Corned Beef Hash, and Crest Cafe's ricotta pancakes. There's really only one dish I like at Hash House too, now that I think about it. Sage Fried Chicken with Maple Reduction (that did make the list) but I just can't bring myself to wait an hour and a half for it. Urban Solace also serves good brunch, with an especially nice pecan french toast.

Farmhouse is only open for brunch on Sundays, which coincides nicely with the nearby Hillcrest market. That is, if you can resist the Thai coconut pancakes and kefta kebab sandwiches offered there...

The Farmhouse Cafe
2121 Adams Ave
San Diego, CA, 92116
(619) 269-9662

Other posts about Farmhouse - dinner last fall , and lunch when they opened.
I like them so much, they even have their own flickr page!

8 comments:

  1. I HAVE to go back for brunch! What a perfect Sunday morning. If I can resist the three tacos for $5 at the HFM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those eggs were my first dish at Farm House. Enjoyed it a lot and made me a fan of the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly I want a bite of everything here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh the Eggs in Cocotte look absolutely amazing!! But the Chorizo Fritatta looks incredible too. I can tell this is one of those places with a menu I would never be able to choose from!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live 3 blocks from that place and yet STILL have not eaten there, even with the best of intentions. What the heck is wrong with me???

    Christy S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beach Grass Cafe for Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes! Great looking brunch though, love FH

    ReplyDelete