Monday, May 04, 2009

San Francisco Treat - Dynamo Donuts

Dynamo Donuts and Coffee in the Mission

This past weekend's trip to San Francisco was filled with return visits to favorite places, like Pizzeria Delfina (now within walking distance of Tommy's house!), Hog Island Oysters (swoon!), Boulette's Larder, Michael Recchiuti, Boulevard, and, of course, Acme Bakery - for the giant bag of bread I mule down here at the end of every visit to make the magic last just a little longer. I always like to try at least one something new though, and this time I set my sights on Dynamo Donuts. I've been hearing about fancy donuts for a while now, and though I've had some good ones in restaurants recently (Norma's at the Parker Palm Springs comes to mind) I haven't had a chance to try these new exotic flavors. There is a place in NYC that does them called Doughnut Plant, and I am sure there are more. (There HAS to be one in LA - if not, somebody needs to get on that quick.)
Dynamo Donuts

Dynamo Donut and Coffee, on 24th in the heart of the Mission serves donuts in flavors like Maple Apple Bacon, Saffron Chocolate, and Banana Dulce de Leche (stuffed with both.) Their flavors change frequently, and there's no real website to speak of, but Fridays and Sundays are ALWAYS Maple Apple Bacon donut day, so if you're looking for those (and you should be) those are the best days to go.
Dynamo Donuts

This past Sunday they had eight flavors: the aforementioned three, plus Rose Chocolate, Spiced Chocolate, Vanilla Bean, Ginger Orange Twist, and Rosemary Chocolate Almond. I selected six to try - all but the Rose Chocolate and Rosemary flavors.
Dynamo Donuts

Since Dynamo is a walk up stand, we ducked into Taqueria San Francisco just down the street and ordered up a couple of Mission burritos and quesadillas to share with our donuts and coffee. It was quite a feast.
Chicken Mission Burrito at Taqueria San Francisco in the Mission

Mission Feast - Dynamo Donuts and Burritos

Of the donuts, the raised glazed were by far my favorite - especially the Maple Apple Bacon. Speckled with pieces of good fresh bacon and covered with a not too sweet glaze, it's sweet with a savory-salty kick - my very favorite kind of breakfast. The Vanilla Bean is the closest thing you'll find to a standard glazed donut, but much, much better, and the most appealing looking one did not disappoint either - well-browned, sugar-coated and stuffed with sliced bananas and dulce de leche. The Saffron Chocolate surprised me a bit with it's lovely balance of flavors, and the Orange Ginger was perfectly acceptable as well. The only one I didn't finish was the Spiced Chocolate, which was curiously bland. Maybe it was an off day for that batch.
Dynamo Donuts

I would definitely rate this place as well worth the trip from just about anywhere that doesn't require getting on a plane, and maybe even then if you really like donuts!

Read what David Lebovitz, Shuna, and Joy had to say about them.

Dynamo Donuts
2760 24th Street
San Francisco
415.920-1978
apparently there are plans afoot for a lovely inside area, with copper fixtures and a patio, so stay tuned for that!


update 9.29.09: the indoor area is now open! Also, be sure to stop in at Humphry Slocombe if you're in the neighborhood - on Harrison at 24th for some awesome artisan ice cream. The Secret Breakfast is delicious!

14 comments:

  1. San Francisco-style burritos and donuts! That could easily be my definition of heaven. Sounds like a fab trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...yup..heaven..looks incredible..will check it out next time I'm in the mission. My fave burrito place in the Mission is Cancun followed by El Faro Lito..mmm..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all that great food. Still, when in San Francisco, I'm heading for North Beach for espresso.

    Of all the things I'm learning at school (I'm a culinary school student) we never touch on coffee. And, we should, we should!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Maple Apple Bacon donut? COME TO MAMA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I gained six pounds just looking at the photos, another four reading the text...

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all the great ideas you gave me for restaurants in San Francisco, my trip was canceled! Staring and drooling over your pictures is gonna have to suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone tried Fritelli's Doughnuts and Coffee in Beverly Hills?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first time I went to Dynamo I was disappointed, the donuts were oddly flavored and mushy. But yesterday I had the Sichuan Lemon which was like a jelly donut only filled with lemon curd. Very balanced flavors, good texture. Dreamy....

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! i will definitely remember these for my next sf trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acme freezes remarkably well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I’m the Community Manager of Ruba.com. We’re building a website to highlight some of the most interesting places travelers around the world have discovered. We’ve read hundreds of blogs about San Francisco and we think that this post is awesome! We’d love to highlight excerpts from your blog (assuming it’s OK with you of course) and to discuss other ways of tapping into your expertise if you are interested. I’m at erin[at]ruba.com.
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all stuff is very sweet and yummy .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm! Donuts! Did you know that Monday, June 1 is Donut Day? Might be time for a visit again. Or, if you're up for it make some yourself:

    http://danamccauley.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/get-ready-for-doughnut-day-june-1/

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have heard of this place! I'm not big into donuts, but unique flavors as you mentioned may win me over. Just found your blog, great work!

    ReplyDelete