Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'd like to think Julia would have approved...

I think Julia would have approved....
Picnicking in line at the Julie & Julia movie preview

of the picnic we threw in line this evening before the free preview of the new Julie & Julia movie in Mission Valley. Everyone pitched in and our little table groaned with cheeses, olives, pate, baguettes, sandwiches, fruit, even an especially delicious rose colored "tea." Funny thing - we got there really early because we thought there would be a big line - but apparently the only people who cared about this movie were other foodie nerds - of which there are approximately 10 in San Diego. The Harry Potter preview was going on across town - I bet THAT one was crowded. (Note the hilarious lack of a line behind us below.)

Picnicking in line at the Julie & Julia movie preview
Add caption

The movie was fabulous - though I would have been just as happy if it had been just about Julia Child. Meryl Streep is a marvel in the role. The movie cuts off just as Mastering the Art of French Cooking is published - so they could do a sequel about her and her television career - but as James pointed out, this movie probably won't make much money, so that probably won't happen. A girl can dream though. I loved Julia's Parisian kitchen. I'm even more obsessed with copper cookware now than ever, and I REALLY want a big mortar and pestle. You will too when you see Julia's.

I think people who've read the (very good) Julia Child biography "My Life in France" might get more out of the movie than those who haven't - but I'm sure it's enjoyable either way. The movie interweaves the biography with the tale of a young woman named Julie Powell, who decided to cook every recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking (534 recipes) over the course of one year in 2002-2003. I could never get into Powell's blog or book, but Amy Adams makes her appealing and I can really sympathize with her whole government-worker-stuck-in-a-rut-thing. Her blog is still up (just google Julie Julia Project) but it's actually a bit of a slog to read - and no photos? Who ever heard of such a thing! Ok, I'll stop now. She's said some pretty condescending things about "food bloggers" in the press (like, she isn't one? hello?) and we can be a grudge-holding bunch. :-)

On another note - you may have noticed I'm working on some changes to the blog. They will be gradual, because we're on a bit of a limited budget with respect to both money and time around here, but things are happening. I've merged the food and the "style" posts into the one blog, and will be adding some links back in and maybe even tabs - to make the topics more accessible. I've got a few posts in the hopper but it will likely remain pretty slow going through the summer. (Take the summer off from the computer - you deserve it!) By Labor Day we should be back in full swing. Hope the rest of you in the Northern Hemisphere have been enjoying the long days and warm nights as much as we have, and Happy Bastille Day!


6 comments:

  1. I'm so looking forward to this movie! And like you I also loved My Life in France. I can't wait to see Meryl banging around the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, I'll have to try and see the movie, looks like a fun picnic!

    My mum has copper pots all round her kitchen and she never uses any of them. I'll make sure to get hold of them if she ever moves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big movie goer, but this is one I was hoping to see when it comes out. I've never read the biography, but I'll have to add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The proper salutation is
    "Joyeux Quatorze Juillet!"

    -Mr. Q. Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The changes to your blog look really great, and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your style posts a little better. I hope I get to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe that I missed a preview of J&J right here in SD! I'm so disappointed but am looking forward to seeing it in August. Your food spread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete