Friday, July 17, 2009

More On LA Mill Coffee

LA MILL - Silverlake
As I mentioned earlier we stopped by LA MILL on a recent visit to Los Angeles. I stumbled on this place a year or so ago - and was wildly impressed with the fanatical seriousness about coffee and the eccentric quelle Parisian atmosphere that infused the place. That time we only had coffee, but I was intrigued by their food and the rest of their menu and couldn't wait to go back.

LA MILL
This time, I returned with James in tow, on the way up for a quick overnight trip to Hollywood. It's an easy stop on the drive up to LA from San Diego - just take the Silverlake Blvd. exit off the 5, and head East. It sits at the end of a little strip of hipster-esque spots about half a mile down - near the intersection of Silverlake and Effie Blvd. If you like coffee, it's a must-do. They have an extensive menu of fascinating signature coffee drinks - as pictured below - and do the standards better than most.
LA MILL
They also have a smart and relatively inexpensive menu of sandwiches and small plates - all straightforward items, but done with a little extra flair. We were late for lunch but needed a snack, so we ordered the burrata with tomato salad, and the ham sandwich with butter (served with a side of mustard, olives and potato chips.) Both were simple but spot-on.
Burrata at LA MILLHam Sandwich at LA MILL
We had a good view from our seats at the bar of the barista doing her work - in the foreground is a bottle of Straus "barista milk" which they describe as "textured." I notice she's also using some Alta Dena below though. Hmmm...
'
I waited until after lunch to have my coffee drink - a Cafe con Leche. To make it, she did something I've never seen before. She packed the coffee into the espresso machine, and tamped it down, and then tamped the sugar down on top of it. I tell you what. This thing had four shots of espresso and at least a tablespoon of what looked like demerara sugar. I felt ELECTRIC as we drove the rest of the way down Sunset toward our hotel. Seriously people, I was high as a KITE.

It was great.
Cafe Con Leche at LA MILL
LA Mill Coffee
1636 Silver Lake Blvd
Los Angeles
(323) 663-4441

5 comments:

  1. I love the "electric" coffee feeling, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I usually need a mocha to get there, but when I'm there, there's no stopping me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that burrata plate looks heavenly. Seriously. I could eat that whole thing. And I am so jealous you got to see Julie and Julia. I feel like am going to ball my eyes out. I cry every time I see the preview. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, that burrata looks out of control delicious! I always like 4-5 shots of espresso, so that's probably perfect for me. I'll have to check this place out next time I'm in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For non-home roasted coffee, La Mill is terrific. Speaking as a Northern California resident, I can tell you that nothing beats Strauss milk. Although, I wouldn't identify it as local to Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's how the Cubans make their coffee - with the sugar packed in. That's how Gil's mom does it and yes, it makes me high too!

    ReplyDelete