Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Best Shot of 2009

Art in North Beach - Books
I really don't consider myself to be much of a photographer. I try, but I am seldom pleased with my food photos, and when they do turn out, I usually feel like I just got lucky. Wanting to improve my skills in that area was one of my big motivations for attending BlogHer Food 09 this past fall. What I actually learned at the conference, is that in order to take really excellent photos I would need to dedicate a lot more time and energy to the process. Sadly, I just don't have enough of either to spare right now - but I am consoling myself with the fact that my favorite photo of 2009 is one I took on that very same day with my iPhone.

I snapped this at the crack of dawn (literally), on Sam's Pre-BlogHer Food Urban Hike. I'm not generally a morning person, but I got myself out of bed at 5:30 AM for this jaunt and I was glad I did. Not only was it a great way to see the city, but you'll never see the sky this color at any other time of day.

Taken at the corner of Columbus and Broadway - the lights are books, and words are stamped into the sidewalk below, falling out of the books.

See more great photos here, in the "Your Best Shot of 09" Flickr pool.

11 comments:

  1. Thats lovely! I've started the 365 project in the hope that I might improve my photography and I've also noticed that my iphone often takes much better photos than my expensive DSLR! Something about the lens? It seems to be a wide angle lense and warms up the colors....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that intersection. Beautiful photo. I can see why you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, you know what I think is funny...I think I have stood at that intersection and wondered what all the words on the street were all about...that'll teach me to be more present and aware :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great shot, Alice and what interesting lights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shot! The lights seems like open books. They have great attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should consider entering this one in some photo contests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your food blog going through a few links. Glad I ran into it. Didn’t know that the food blog/recipe community was so big in San Diego.

    I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. I’ll drop yours on my site and you drop mine on yours. Email at ramendays@yahoo.com or stop by my site and drop a comment. Let me know if you would like to do a link exchange.

    Cheers,
    Caleb
    http://www.ramendays.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is gorgeous, I would love to see those lights in person! Wow, that beautiful blue you captured, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a great one. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is map location for anyone who is interested in where to find this whimsical piece of art. And make sure you look down on the floor - it's where you'll find the other half of this installation.

    ReplyDelete