Monday, March 15, 2010

Donna's House and Garden

Collages5
Last weekend I found myself mesmerized by my friend Donna's gorgeous house and garden. About a year ago, she re-planted her front yard entirely with edibles. I visited when she was first planning it, and I was struck by the variety and lushness of it now. Instead of shrubs, she has towering vines of peas, artichokes, carrots, strawberries, herbs, cabbages, etc. They're not only delicious to eat but beautiful too - with a constantly changing palette of colors, textures and shapes.

We have a garden of raised beds - but I'm inspired to do something like this in the front yard when the time comes for new landscaping. (I'm getting to the point where I'm finding it difficult to see the purpose of plants that don't produce something delicious!) Cardoons, kales, artichokes, nasturtiums and cabbages are all especially well suited for landscaping - since they produce both color and foliage, and are as lovely to look at as they are to eat.

The inside of the house is vintage and eclectic with art deco touches - lots of black and white, hardwood floors, a batchelder fireplace, beautiful eat in kitchen, a tv room with Moroccan touches, picture windows looking out to the bay...

Definitely the kind of place where you might eyeball the guest room greedily, thinking "Yes, I could definitely live here!"

More photos can be viewed here.

5 comments:

  1. I heart Donna. She is so lovely and it is not a surprise her home is this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing home and garden! I love the idea of planting edibles everywhere. This just proves they are every bit as beautiful as any flower or shrub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post left me homesick ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a great example of how an edible garden can look ornamental. Everything looks so well thought-out and perfect.

    ReplyDelete