1. Tom's Wedges - I've always wanted to like these shoes, but the flat espadrille style just doesn't work for my feet. This more lady-like version is coming this summer - you can sign up here to be notified when they're available. (I've got my eye on the navy ones.)
2. Scotty's Green Salsa - I discovered this at Whole Foods a couple of months ago and I just haven't been able to get enough. It's vibrant green and fresh - and I don't know exactly why, but it just tastes better than your usual salsa verde. Look for it in the salsa cooler in the chip aisle.
3. Aperol Cocktails - The other night, I opened a bottle of some cheap fizzy Pinot Grigio. It tasted a little sour on its own, so - inspired by Zuni Cafe - I added a splash of Aperol, a slug of gin and a couple of ice cubes. Voila! Something I will make over and over again this summer.
4. Trina Turk Loop beach towels - I picked up a couple of these (in the blue/green print) at the Trina Turk boutique in Fashion Island a couple of months ago, and have been waiting to use them with bated breath. I finally got my chance this weekend and I absolutely love them.
5. New music - I just had to re-load all of my music onto my laptop after a crash, which inspired me to freshen up my collection a bit. I bought a few new albums and unearthed a few that I'd purchased earlier but never really listened to and made a new play list for Summer. It includes albums by Grizzly Bear, Andrew Bird, Neko Case, Feist, Cut Copy, Caribou, The Temper Trap, a few Carla Bruni songs, some Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and the Up in the Air soundtrack. I'm loving The Reminder by Feist, which I just rediscovered, and Conditions by the Temper Trap.
6. Garage Sales - This is prime garage sale season, and I'm dying to get up early some Saturday morning soon and hit up a few. There really is no point in going if you can't get there early though, so I will definitely need to plan ahead.
7. Rosé - this is the summer of rosé wines - it's been brewing for a few years now, but I think the trend is really ready to hit its stride.
8. Cherries - I saw the first ones coming into the market last weekend. This year I'm really hoping to get my hands on some sour ones, even if they're frozen - and make the Sour Cherry Frozen Custard I made a few years ago.
9. Portland - we are visiting this fair city for the first time this July, and I cannot wait. We're flying in on a Thursday, spending the night at the McMenamin's Kennedy School, then moving to the Ace the next day, since the Kennedy School is booked for weddings over the weekend. We're going to a birthday party on Saturday and I have a feeling the rest of our time will be pretty well absorbed with checking out the Pearl District (Powells Books for sure) and trying to snarf up as much of the local food scene as we can - including the food carts, Clyde Common and Pearl Bakery. If you have any special recommendations, please let me know!
10. The Food 4 Kids Summer Fundraiser! - Those of you who have been reading for a while may remember that back in December, several local bloggers got together to do a fundraiser for the San Diego Food Bank's Food 4 Kids program, which provides backpacks filled with food to kids on the weekends who would otherwise not have enough to eat. Our efforts allowed the Food Bank to add two more schools to the program, and we collected over 1000 pounds of food. This year we're moving the fundraiser to the Summer, so we can directly impact the program for the coming year. We're targeting an August date for our food drive at the Little Italy Mercato, and we have a couple of other surprises up our sleeves, so watch this space for more announcements! You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/food4kids for all the latest information and updates.
photo via the Huffington Post