Monday, May 17, 2010

Ten Things I'm Excited About This Summer

1. Tom's Wedges - I've always wanted to like these shoes, but the flat espadrille style just doesn't work for my feet. This more lady-like version is coming this summer - you can sign up here to be notified when they're available. (I've got my eye on the navy ones.)

2. Scotty's Green Salsa - I discovered this at Whole Foods a couple of months ago and I just haven't been able to get enough. It's vibrant green and fresh - and I don't know exactly why, but it just tastes better than your usual salsa verde. Look for it in the salsa cooler in the chip aisle.

3. Aperol Cocktails - The other night, I opened a bottle of some cheap fizzy Pinot Grigio. It tasted a little sour on its own, so - inspired by Zuni Cafe - I added a splash of Aperol, a slug of gin and a couple of ice cubes. Voila! Something I will make over and over again this summer.

4. Trina Turk Loop beach towels - I picked up a couple of these (in the blue/green print) at the Trina Turk boutique in Fashion Island a couple of months ago, and have been waiting to use them with bated breath. I finally got my chance this weekend and I absolutely love them.

5. New music - I just had to re-load all of my music onto my laptop after a crash, which inspired me to freshen up my collection a bit. I bought a few new albums and unearthed a few that I'd purchased earlier but never really listened to and made a new play list for Summer. It includes albums by Grizzly Bear, Andrew Bird, Neko Case, Feist, Cut Copy, Caribou, The Temper Trap, a few Carla Bruni songs, some Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and the Up in the Air soundtrack. I'm loving The Reminder by Feist, which I just rediscovered, and Conditions by the Temper Trap.

6. Garage Sales - This is prime garage sale season, and I'm dying to get up early some Saturday morning soon and hit up a few. There really is no point in going if you can't get there early though, so I will definitely need to plan ahead.

7. Rosé - this is the summer of rosé wines - it's been brewing for a few years now, but I think the trend is really ready to hit its stride.

8. Cherries - I saw the first ones coming into the market last weekend. This year I'm really hoping to get my hands on some sour ones, even if they're frozen - and make the Sour Cherry Frozen Custard I made a few years ago.

9. Portland - we are visiting this fair city for the first time this July, and I cannot wait. We're flying in on a Thursday, spending the night at the McMenamin's Kennedy School, then moving to the Ace the next day, since the Kennedy School is booked for weddings over the weekend. We're going to a birthday party on Saturday and I have a feeling the rest of our time will be pretty well absorbed with checking out the Pearl District (Powells Books for sure) and trying to snarf up as much of the local food scene as we can - including the food carts, Clyde Common and Pearl Bakery. If you have any special recommendations, please let me know!

10. The Food 4 Kids Summer Fundraiser! - Those of you who have been reading for a while may remember that back in December, several local bloggers got together to do a fundraiser for the San Diego Food Bank's Food 4 Kids program, which provides backpacks filled with food to kids on the weekends who would otherwise not have enough to eat. Our efforts allowed the Food Bank to add two more schools to the program, and we collected over 1000 pounds of food. This year we're moving the fundraiser to the Summer, so we can directly impact the program for the coming year. We're targeting an August date for our food drive at the Little Italy Mercato, and we have a couple of other surprises up our sleeves, so watch this space for more announcements! You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/food4kids for all the latest information and updates.

photo via the Huffington Post



11 comments:

  1. I moved from the Portland area to SD a few years ago...I always preferred Ken's Artisan Bakery to Pearl Bakery. Also recommend his pizza place as well as Apizza Scholls which sadly we never got to try but always gets rave reviews. Here are some other eateries we liked (check reviews though as it's been a few years and things can change of course):

    http://www.kensartisan.com/
    http://www.apizzascholls.com/
    http://www.mothersbistro.com/ (comfort food)
    http://www.serratto.com/
    http://www.elephantsdeli.com/ (pick up food at the NW location & go to the rose garden for a picnic)
    http://www.fenouilinthepearl.com/
    http://www.dailycafe.net/ (for brunch)
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/thien-hong-portland (only for the salt pepper squid though!)

    Shopping areas:
    NW Portland (more upscale but some unique shops)
    Pearl District (same; gentrified warehouse area)
    Alberta Ave (funky, artsy)
    Sellwood (antiques)

    Outdoor:
    Rose Garden: http://tinyurl.com/yyfdsg5
    Forest Park: http://tinyurl.com/27mfbp
    http://pittockmansion.org/ (for a nice view)
    Columbia River Gorge & Multnomah Falls:
    http://tinyurl.com/2394ht8

    I'll try to think of some others. Hope that's a start anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh darn, i'm sorry those links aren't live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to leave yet another comment! i seem to have signed in with the wrong account in the previous two. here's my email if you want to message me directly:

    edina_tien@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for Tom's wedges!!! I cannot wait! the flats look awful on me too. I have a friend of a friend who works for Tom's - trying to work that angle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking about hitting some garage sales, too. I have a little baby, so I'm up that early anyway! Might as well!

    What do you think is the best way to find out about SD garage sales?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your music selections! :) I'm going to have to look for that salsa. We stayed at the Kennedy School a few years ago. So fun! Although I've heard great things about the Ace, too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Portland visit 1001 they have a green grape cocktail that is to die for and the chef used to be at Bouchon in Yountville. Also, Beast! Most amazing dinner experience ever!

    http://www.beastpdx.com/
    http://www.ten-01.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi alice - check out the ziba's pita's food cart on sw 10th and adler. they have greak bureks and ustipaks (fried bosnian bread)! burgerville is also a local chain that uses local ingredients (tillamook cheese, and when in season, marionberries and walla walla onion rings).

    ReplyDelete
  9. you'll love portland. enjoy the ace. it's a fun place to stay. and be sure to have an old fashion at clyde common, with eagle rare.
    for food try pok pok or sister company ping. or any of the food carts. they are kind of a big deal there. and really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty crazy about most everything on this list too...but I esp. NEED those wedges (I'll take the red if you taking navy).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Portland. How I miss thee. I've been gone only two years, but I yearn to go back. Make me feel better and eat at these places for me:

    Pok Pok on SE Division St.
    Toro Bravo on NE Russell St.
    Pix Patisserie on SE Division (just down the street from Pok Pok!)
    Apizza Scholls on SE Hawthorne Blvd.
    Pambiche on NE Glisan St.
    Le Pigeon on E Burnside St.
    Kenny & Zuke's on SW Stark St. (but only for breakfast--the rest of the menu is rather underwhelming)
    Screen Door on E Burnside St.
    Pine State Biscuits on SE Belmont St. (and at the PSU weekend farmers market)

    There are many more delicious places, but I have to stop writing now because my drool is mixing with my tears and messing up my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...