Wednesday, August 11, 2010

MIHO Gastrotruck - San Diego


Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

Have you been to the MIHO Gastrotruck yet? It's a new food truck cruising around San Diego. They park in office areas by day for lunch, and festivals and events on the weekends and evenings. Tuesdays they park in Kearny Mesa, Wednesdays in Little Italy behind Casa Artelexia, Thursdays in Sorrento Valley, and Fridays in the UTC area. Their full schedule and current menu are on thir website.

A few weeks ago I went to a "4th of Julio" party they catered (also at Casa Artelexia) and thought I'd share a few photos.
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

We had tropical drinks and Micheladas...
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

and the tables were decorated with lots of fun stuff for kids and grownups alike...
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

The Viva Pops folks were there too...
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

With these amazing "bomb" popsicles...
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

Pretty soon the party acquired a great lively vibe...
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

How was the food? Pretty darned good. My favorite items were the fried squash blossoms and the elote (Mexican grilled corn with mayonnaise, cotija cheese and hot sauce). I wasn't able to try everything and their menu changes often, so it's hard to say what you'll find when you visit. They've been criticized for high prices and for running out of items, but I think the quality of their ingredients warrants the prices and I think they're working out the kinks.
Fourth of Julio MIHO Party

If this looks like fun, Casa Artelexia is hosting a "white party" in the same location this Saturday night at 7 PM, with the MIHO truck, craft beer, a DJ and event styling by Sitting in a Tree. All the cool kids will be there, and 50% of the alcohol sales will benefit Food 4 Kids!
blancapostcardfrontweb


ed. note - an earlier version of this post stated 25% of the Cosa Blanca event's proceeds would be going to Food 4 Kids, but it's actually 50%! Also - a co-worker and I had lunch at the MIHO Gastrotruck in Little Italy today - I loved the shrimp po' boy and the fries were especially good. No lines either!

4 comments:

  1. I love MIHO. My Homie card is almost full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for posting. so great meeting you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add to the MIHO love! My husband and I live in South Park and have been a few times when they've done "happy hour" with the Whistle Stop. I can't complain about the price, because when you buy food from the truck, you get $1off on your drink at the WS. With the drinks aleady at happy hour prices, it's a darn good deal.

    I've really been enjoying the food, too. The shrimp po'boy was awesome. Had it last night at TNT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice, fellow San Diegan,
    I stumbled upon your blog (BRAVO! Great content!!!) while researching food trucks for my Innovation+Branding Blog, and thought I'd never find any cool ones in SD until I found MIHO Gastrotrucks. And saw your piece on them as well. With your permission I've posted your pic above and provided you with the proper link and credit.

    Do you know of any other SD-based Food Trucks that are as unique as those in NYC, LA, SF and other big foodie cities?

    http://dianhasan.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/mobile-brand-building-the-life-and-times-of-food-trucks/

    Let's stay connected.

    Sincerely,
    Dian

    ReplyDelete