Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Canal House Cooking

The Canal House - Windows Internet Explorer 1022010 121541 PM.bmp

I first ran across the Canal House books in a Williams-Sonoma store in Rancho Cucamonga (of all places) several months ago. They had the first three volumes out on display, and as I flipped through them, I was immediately reminded of the Zuni cookbook and other similar volumes. The photos are magazine-quality beautiful, and the recipes were thoughtful and reflected the kind of food I love to cook and eat - bountiful and flavorful dishes featuring lots of fresh produce and simple but effective techniques. I was a little bit overwhelmed at the time, and wasn't really in the market for new cookbooks or recipes, but with the change of seasons, I've been feeling the need to change it up a bit in the kitchen - so I came back to explore these books a little further.

canal house paella

What I found out is that the books are actually a series, with three volumes published per year. The publishers are two former Saveur magazine editors. Melissa Hamilton was the food editor there, as well as, at various times, an executive chef, food stylist, and recipe developer, and Christopher Hirsheimer (a woman) was a food and design editor for Metropolitan Home and a founding editor of Saveur. The mission of the editors/publishers is to share recipes they like to cook at home - both for entertaining and every day. The books remind me a little of the Silver Palate cookbooks of the late 80's - they seem to update that same idea for today's sensibilities. I just ordered a subscription - as well as a back issue from a year ago with Fall and Holiday recipes - and I'm really looking forward to their arrival. Now I just need to get out there and do some work in the garden!
canal house cooking ii


For more information visit their website.

photos from Gourmet.com and Canal House Cooking


2 comments:

  1. These look great. I remember Molly from Orangette mentioning them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else,
    Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all
    round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.
    Here is my weblog site

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...