Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wendi's Apple Salsa

Apple Salsa

We had our monthly supper club the other night, with the theme of apples. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical at first. I thought there might be too much sweet stuff, and I was a little stumped for ideas. It turned out to be an amazing meal though. I decided to be clever and made potato leek soup (get it? "pommes de terre"?) which was served with an Apple Cheddar Beer Bread made by my friend Elizabeth, but just about everyone else stuck with the theme. We had Roast Pork Tenderloin with Apples, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Onions (something like this recipe with the addition of caramelized onions), Waldorf salad, a green salad with pears and pecans - and to top it off, a Barefoot Contessa apple crisp and upside down apple cake for dessert - with soft unsweetened whipped cream. Sooo good.

One of the best surprises though, was this apple salsa my friend Wendi brought. Wendi is hands down one of the best home cooks I've ever met. Everything she makes is amazing, and most it is healthy to boot. She made this apple salsa based on a family recipe. Actually, it's one of those things where there is no recipe, she just found out what was in it from her brother, and recreated it based on memory.

She made the dressing first, to get the balance of flavors right and be sure it wasn't too spicy, Then she chopped some apples (both red and green) red onion and red bell pepper, and a little bit of cilantro. She tossed the apples with the dressing first so they wouldn't brown, and then added the onions, peppers and cilantro. The end result was light but flavorful - sweet, spicy and tart. She helped me come up with this approximate recipe so I could share it here. Just bear in mind it's approximate and feel free to adjust to your taste! I think you'll really like it.

Wendi's Apple Salsa

2-3 small to medium apples, one red and one green, finely chopped (make dressing before chopping)
2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion (or to taste)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 Tablespoon very finely chopped cilantro

2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp adobo sauce from canned chipotles
sugar or agave nectar to taste
dash salt

Whisk together dressing ingredients and adjust to taste - you're going for a balance of sweet, tart and spicy.

Chop apples (you should have about 1.5 cups) and toss with the dressing to prevent browning. Add onion, bell pepper and cilantro. Sprinkle with salt, if desired, and serve immediately with tortilla chips. This would also be great with grilled pork or chicken, and would pair nicely with avocado!

4 comments:

  1. Oh man. I loved this salsa. I will definitely be bringing it into rotation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it! I'm honored to be on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so delicious and made me get all greedy. Thanks for sharing the recipe, or an approximation thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! I love tomato-based salsas, but sometimes I crave something sweet... And this looks perfect!!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...