Wednesday, April 01, 2009

My Favorite Chocolate Cake (No Foolin'!)

Robertson Family BBQ Desserts

I've tried a lot of chocolate cakes in my time, and baked a few myself, but I knew, the instant I tasted it at Starlite one evening last fall, that this one was The One. It was dark, dense, moist, not too sweet, and absolutely huge - with nice thick layers about one and a half inches tall. I liked it so much that I asked our server for the recipe and wrote my email address on a slip of paper for him to give to the chef. I'd almost forgotten about it when lo and behold - about two months later the recipe appeared in my inbox.

This is pretty rare for me, settling on one recipe I could use for the rest of my life. Aside from my go-to roast chicken I seldom make anything the same way twice. This cake just really does it for me though. Not only is it perfect in terms of its flavor, moistness and size - it's one of the simplest recipes I've seen and very nearly foolproof. It also stores well (I froze mine for a week) and it's so moist that I can't imagine it would ever dry out.
Starlite Chocolate Cake

The only caveat is that the recipe makes a LOT of batter. So much, that at first I didn't believe it would fit into the two cake pans. When it came time to mix the wet and dry ingredients together, I discovered I actually didn't have a big enough bowl, and had to retrieve an enormous one I found at an estate sale, that I had planned to sell in my Etsy store. That bowl is now in my kitchen cabinet, which is where it will stay now that I know I will need it every time I make this cake. If you don't have an enormous bowl, you might try adding half of each of the wet and dry ingredients (by weight) to a third bowl in two batches.

This cake bakes up so tall that you could probably get away with halving the recipe and baking one layer for most occasions. It is nice to know though, that when one of those occasions comes along when nothing but a big, honkin' chocolate cake with thick, fudgy frosting will do - this one's your man.
Starlite Chocolate Cake

Starlite Devils Food Cake
adapted from Sharon La Bate - Pastry Chef at Starlite, and graciously shared by Marguerite Grifka.

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
2 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
2 ½ cups cocoa (I used Valrhona)
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients:
3 eggs
3 yolks
1 ½ cups coffee
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
6 oz. melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 ½ cups buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Line two nine inch cake pans with parchment and grease well (grease the pan before putting the parchment in so it doesn't slip, then grease the paper too.)

Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk all of the wet ingredients together well in a separate bowl.

In a very large bowl (a six quart or larger Kitchen Aid should also work) gently fold the dry into the wet ingredients, and whisk gently, just to get rid of any lumps. (If you don't have an enormous bowl but you do have a kitchen scale, you can also weigh out half of each and blend them together in a third bowl, then just pour each batch directly in the cake pans.)

Evenly divide the batter between the two pans, and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nearly clean (a few moist crumbs are ok) Allow the cakes to cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes, then turn out of the pans, peel the parchment off, and allow to cool completely before storing.

This batter would also make great cupcakes - just fill your papers about 3/4 full, and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until dry and springy to the touch. Take the cupcakes out of the pan as soon as they are cool enough to handle, so that the steam doesn't cause the papers to come off.

Thick Fudgy Frosting
1 pound of powdered sugar
3 sticks of butter, softened
8 ounces of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
2 Tablesoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt

Whisk cocoa powder and salt into warm melted chocolate until dissolved set aside to cool to warm. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed, beat butter until light and fluffy. Lower the speed and gradually beat in powdered sugar, then sour cream and vanilla, scraping the bowl down as needed.

With the mixer running on low speed, add melted chocolate to mixture and blend, scraping the bowl well to make sure it's all incorporated. Frost the cake immediately. If the mixture gets too thick, you can thin it with a little milk or cream.

15 comments:

  1. This was very tasty! It reminds me a lot of the recipe I grew up on: Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake (or something like that). It's the recipe I still use most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks enormous! I must give it a try once I have a big enough bowl!!!

    I had their banana cake with creme fraiche frosting and it was totally delicious. I asked for the recipe but didnt hear anything, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem to get past those darn toffee ice cream sandwiches when I am there. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome! I've bookmarked it for next time I need a chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious, Alice! It's like 4 in the morning and now I want cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks to die for! do you know if it is always on the menu at starlite?

    ReplyDelete
  7. THESE PICTURES MAKE ME WANT A PIECE OF CAKE SO BADLY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is a LOT of cake and frosting!! I love it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alice -- Wow, looks delicious!
    I like Valhrona cocoa too -- but have you tried Pernigotti Cocoa?
    Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG--That frosting looks delicious and looking at the recipe, now I know why--three sticks of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe, Alice Q! I've been looking for a good recipe for my sweetie's first birthday and think this may be it, especially since I can make it beforehand and freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this might seem like a stupid question but i've seen recipes that use both types: brewed coffee or ground coffee? if brewed, american style?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This chocolate cake looks so beautiful with the colors, I'm sure it'll be a big hit with the kids! Although I'm to a big fan of chocolate cake, this sure looks yummy! I'm normally the one that will say no to chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog is just fantastic! and this is by far my favourite post! Mmmmmm! Tasty! Have you thought about opening your own food outlet? If you guys all got together to share each other's receipes, you'd make a bomb! and deservedly so.... great food, great ideas, beautifully presented and a real treat to read! Thankyou so much for the inspiration. I'm now off to try out some of those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beginner baker here. I just made this cake and it is delicious!!! I made it twice because the first time I wrongly used coffee grounds instead of brewed coffee. My family ate it up and I will definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete