I just updated my "Favorite Places to Eat" post from 2009. It was a little bit overdue, so I was glad to see that it hasn't changed all that much. I only had to delete one restaurant that closed, and I belatedly added a couple of "new" places, like Bankers Hill and Cucina Urbana.
As I looked at the list, I also realized that though I stand by everything on it, I generally find myself going back to the same very few places over and over again, just by habit or because they appeal to me personally. This is completely subjective, and I don't know that I'd even say these places are necessarily the 10 best on the list, they are simply the ones I return to most often!
- Farm House Cafe - The best bang for your buck in town. Love the seafood dishes, chicken liver mousse and burger. Nice wine selection too. We always sit at the bar.
- Blue Ribbon Pizzeria - Love their pizzas with ricotta, and the salads and apps are fantastic. Try the BLT salad, the burrata or the albacore with avocado. The butterscotch pudding is to die for too.
- Cafe Chloe - Three words, long, leisurely lunch. (aka LLL) Settle in for multiple small courses and throw back a glass of wine or two. Don't forget to bring lots of quarters for the parking meters! They also do a really nice afternoon tea.
- A.R. Valentien - Their deck is another great place for a LLL, and you can order their awesome Drugstore Burger at lunchtime. They do a really nice three course lunch for around $25. (910 in La Jolla does this too.)
- Blind Lady Ale House - Love the chorizo pizza, mussels and beer.
- Bankers Hill Bar & Restaurant - Haven't been in a few months, but we're going next Saturday. Good cocktails and Rachel Going makes fantastic desserts!
- Starlite - Great cocktails and an interesting, affordable menu. It changes constantly and they always have something good for non-meat eaters.
- Cucina Urbana - I like it best for lunch, but dinner is good too. The menu is a little odd, but I always seem to find something good. Joe Manganelli knows what he's doing.
- George's in La Jolla - California Modern & Ocean Terrace - CA Modern is the best blend of atmosphere and food in town for fine dining. The Ocean Terrace has the best view in town, bar none, and is a fantastic place to entertain out of towners.
- K Sandwiches - Where i go for my iced milk coffee and banh mi fix. Extra pickle, easy mayo. :)
How about you? Do you have a short list of places you like to go in San Diego or your own hometown?
Photo: Cafe Chloe