Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter, 1962

Easter, 1962
While I'm working on more vacation posts, I thought it would be fun to share these pictures of my parents taken on Easter in 1962. This was just a few months before they got married (on June 6, 1962) and they were 20 and 22 at the time. How stylish and adorable are they??
Easter, 1962
My dad's hair is buzzed because he was a cadet at the Air Force Academy. They don't make them do that anymore (as upperclassmen anyway) but he was in the third or fourth graduating class, back when they took those things seriously. My mother and her parents lived in Denver, and he went up to visit as often as he could. She went to Colorado Women's College (now part of DU) and they met at a dinner. He asked her out on the spot - to go watch the planes take off at the airport.
Easter, 1962
The camera my dad is holding in these photos is an Argus - we still have it. Actually, his mother worked at the factory, so we have a whole bunch of them. The shutter is stuck on this one, I keep meaning to take it to the repair shop. (I have a lot of things like that I need to take care of knives that need sharpening, copper pans that need tinning, a cuckoo clock that needs weights, on and on...)
Easter, 1962
My mother, doing her model pose. I would so wear that suit right now. She had some really darling clothes.
Easter, 1962
The one above is my favorite - it's just such a cute moment, and looks the most like them to me.
Easter, 1962
It's hard for me to believe my dad was really this young. He's looking sharp in that suit, too.
Easter 1971
As a little bonus - this picture was taken a few years later, on Easter, 1972 - that's me on the right. The other little girl is Tricia Buzard, who was our next door neighbor at the time. I love her glasses.

Hope you and yours have a happy, peaceful Easter! Eat lots of chocolate bunnies and enjoy the celebration of Spring!






3 comments:

  1. I love these!! Your parents are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool that you have these... super stylish. And, I'll be ripping off Tricia's glasses-over-hair look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love old photographs - the colors are faded to gorgeousness.

    ReplyDelete