Thursday, April 07, 2011

Huzzah!! Casa Robertson has a Guest Room!

guestroom/office remodel
I am pleased to announce that Casa Robertson at last sports an honest-to-goodness guest room!  It was a long time in coming, but when we go, we go all out.  A fan and a gumball machine are among the many amenities you'll find.   There's an Ace Hotel robe hanging on the back of the door, and I've even ordered one of those folding luggage racks.
guestroom/office remodel
This project began when a friend of mine happened to mention that she had an heirloom wooden double bed she needed to store. I have two nieces who visit not infrequently, who were fast outgrowing the single daybed they slept on head to toe. I'd also been meaning to re-do this room for a while now. It's still primarily my office and dressing room, but since I don't work at home much anymore, I didn't really need as much work space. It was also high time something was done about the furniture, which consisted of two dressers I had been using since seventh grade, and two white folding tables for a desk.
guestroom/office remodel
My friend gave me the bed to store for at least two years, and the rest just grew from there.  I wanted the room to be fun and kid appropriate - since my nieces will undoubtedly stay in it most often - but stylish and comfortable enough for adults too.  Luckily the bed fit right in with what I was going for.  I covered it with Ikea linens and hung a vintage wool blanket over the footboard. 
guestroom/office remodel
I still liked the robins egg blue, so we just repainted the walls the same color.  The bookshelf and desk chair came from West Elm and I picked up the bedside table at a vintage store in Riverside.  I could not believe how lucky I was to find the dresser on Craigslist.  It was only $250. and the seller lived less than a mile away.  The mirror is from the original 7th grade Ethan Allen furniture set.   
guestroom/office remodel
I already had this linen bulletin board and when we had our first houseguests a couple of weeks ago I wanted to get it covered.  I pulled out a box of thumb tacks and a box of art and travel postcards and mementos I've collected *going back almost 30 years* and went to work.  It was sort of strange handling things that are vintage because *I* bought them when I was 12.  (For a closer look, click here.)
guestroom/office remodel
I trolled Craigslist for a couple of months looking for a wood bookshelf until I finally caved and bought this one from West Elm. It was a little pricey, but it works perfectly and I needed to get something in there.

So there you have it - reserve now for best availability!  We have Traders chocolate croissants in the freezer, and we always have plenty of coffee on hand!

10 comments:

  1. Where do I book my stay? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I especially love that you made that whole bulletin board arrangement without actually puncturing the cards/art. After collecting for years, I don't blame you. Looks great!
    Jen Dery

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a weird quirk of mine - but I absolutely LOVE staying in a room with a bookshelf. Whether it's at a friend's guest room or a B&B - a quirky collection of books just makes my day!

    Well done - the room is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! It looks great...nice job! Makes me kind of sad I don't save ANYTHING though. Love the postcards, and I gave away my Ethan Allen mirror I'd had since 4th grade when I downsized a couple of years ago. When I go to Trader Joe's this weekend I am making a beeline for the chocolate croissants - didn't even know they had them! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just makes my summer jaunt to Casa Robertson all the more enticing... can't wait to snooze in that big cozy bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic, Alice! So stylish and inviting. Those lucky nieces, and other "guests" who will now be coming out of the woodwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alice,

    BlogFront.org is committed to uphold the quality standards of blogging. We strive to maintain and promote only the most credible blogs in their respective fields.

    Spam blogs or "splogs" has been a problem for some time now and people are getting confused about which blog to trust.

    We would like to thank you for maintaining such a reputable blog. We know that it takes time, effort and commitment to keep such a blog and as such, we have added your blog as one of the top Food Blogs.

    You can see your blog listed here: http://blogfront.org/food

    You can also claim your BlogFront Top Blogs badge at http://blogfront.org/badges/food

    Thank you for keeping your blog credible. Let's keep the blog revolution alive!

    Maria Blanchard
    BlogFront.org
    Blog Revolucion

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great, Alice! Love the color and the mirror, the styling... well everything. For the life of me though, I can't remember where this room was in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this room! It's so alive with charm and personality, I just love it.
    -Laurie Ann N. from Facebook

    Laurie716 on instagr.am

    ReplyDelete